Skip to Main Content

Councillors Leaving the Scheme Before Retirement

Can I opt out of the Scheme and re-join the Scheme at a later date?

You can leave the Scheme at any time by giving your Council notice in writing. If you opt out, you can opt back into the Scheme provided at that time you are still an elected Councillor and you are under 75. You may wish to obtain independent financial advice before you make a decision to opt out of the Scheme.

You cannot join your benefits together if you have previously opted out.

Can I have a refund of contributions?

If you leave with less than two years' total membership you may take a refund of your contributions, less any deductions for tax and the cost of buying you back into the State Second Pension Scheme (S2P).

Also in this section