Yes. NILGOSC has a statutory duty to issue annual pension benefit statements and pension savings statements. We cannot do either of these without the information that you provide on annual returns. The deadline for submitting annual returns for the 2019/20 year is 30 April 2020.
No. Upon receipt of the relevant paperwork NILGOSC will arrange a face to face assessment for your employee with the Committee doctor. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, they may be required to complete a COVID-19 health screening questionnaire. Should NILGOSC determine that ill-health benefits can be paid, claim forms will be issued promptly. NILGOSC remains fully functional for all key member service delivery functions and we will continue to deliver great service to our members with minimal disruption.
We acknowledge that the next period is likely to be particularly challenging and disrupting and employers may need to prioritise their Scheme administration tasks. NILGOSC strongly recommends that employers prioritise:
- providing NILGOSC with information on new retirees to allow us to process and pay new pensions
- provide information on deaths so that death grants and survivor benefits can be paid as promptly as possible
- continue to pay over employer and employee contributions promptly
- continue to advise NILGOSC of any new members
- complete and submit annual returns.
In addition, the Pension Regulator (tPR) has provided coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for employers and pension administrators. The guidance will be updated over the coming weeks so you may wish to regularly check the link. tPR has said that it recognises that some administrative breaches of the law may occur and they will maintain a proportionate and fair approach to any action they make take.