A few members and pensioners contacted us to advise that they have received a call from an automated service, which claimed to be their pension provider. One message received advised that they could release some of their pension early while another asked that they press a button on the telephone keypad to access a financial reward.
These calls are not linked to NILGOSC in any way. If you receive such a call we advise you to hang up immediately and you can report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
NILGOSC will never ask for your personal or banking details over the phone. If we need to contact you by telephone it will be a member of our staff, who will clearly identify themselves.
We would suggest that you be extra vigilant with regards to your personal and financial details. Please read the tips below on how to be fraud aware.
- If you believe a telephone call to be fraudulent, hang up immediately.
- Never give personal or financial information out to anyone who cold calls you on the telephone.
- If you are unsure whether a caller to your home is genuine or not, ask them to wait while you call the company that they claim to be from to verify who they are. If they are genuine they will not mind waiting.
- If you use internet and email, ensure your computer has up-to-date anti-virus software.
- Report any scams to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
If you wish to discuss your pension, please contact NILGOSC directly on 0345 3197 326.